Saturday, December 4, 2010

First Christmas without William....by Larry Humphries

First Christmas without William...



Is it William or Bill?
I don’t know William,
and, I suppose, neither do you.

William R. Foster, Jr, died on Saturday, August 28, 2010.
Home going service will be at House of Day Funeral Service,
Tuesday, August 31, 2010.  Wake hour at 10 a.m. with
funeral hour at 11 a.m.

I noticed this on the obituary page
filled with life stories,
only because it’s one paragraph.

A lifetime in 36 words.
It’s not enough.

Perhaps it was written to catch my attention.

I see his mother holding him at birth.
Lovingly naming him for his proud father.
Does he have a wife?  Children?
Are his parents now heartbroken?

Who will attend the wake?
Will I?
Probably not.
Will I think of Bill on Tuesday at 10 a.m.?
Probably not.

But, we’re thinking about him now.


L. Humphries
© August 2010

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes....bless him and his family and keep them all in prayer :) Namaste*

    ReplyDelete